Aluminum Boats & Canoes Inc. Compliance Plate

On January 20, 2015, I sent off the following email:

Dear Office of Boating Safety,

Last fall I purchased an aluminum rowboat from its former owner in The Pas for $200.00 for my personal use.  They had bought it new in 1970 and used it exclusively for family pleasure in northern Manitoba.  It is 11’4” in length and in very fine shape.  This winter I am in the process of fully refitting it, replacing all wood, and upgrading its steel screws and bolts to stainless steel.


In stripping the boat I found that there is no compliance plate.  I contacted the national office of Transport Canada a few weeks ago to inquire how I might obtain a compliance plate.  I was told to contact the manufacturer.  The manufacturer (Aluminum Boats And Canoes, Inc.) no longer exists.  The boat is stamped with their stamp and a serial number is issued and plainly visible.  Aluminum Boats and Canoes and its purchasers have been reacquired several times since 1970.  I contacted Princecraft, which is where this corporate acquisition trail now leads, but I was told that they were unable to issue a compliance plate for a boat of that vintage, now over 40 years old, and not of their own design.


So I am writing to you at this time and inquiring as to your direction as to what to do now?  The boat is still exceptionally seaworthy.  I will be using it on smaller lakes in my region, and fitting it with a small motor.  Perhaps I am making too much of all of this but I would feel much better being on the water and knowing the load (weight, passengers, horsepower) for which this boat is designed….  If you direct that no compliance plate is required, then I shall keep a copy of this correspondence in the boat itself to show that no plate is required.


Thank you for your consideration.




On January 21, 2015, I received their reply:
There is no requirement for pleasure crafts built before April 29, 2011 to have a compliance notice affixed to the boat. Here is a link to our site that explains in more details: .To obtain the information for the recommended maximum load, passengers and engine HP etc. I would recommend contacting a Marine Surveyor, they will be able to do the calculations for you. Please also refer to the Construction Standards for Small Vessels (TP1332):  In this publication you will be able to find the calculations to find the information you are looking for.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.


P. L.
Boating Safety Officer / Agent de la sécurité nautique
Transport Canada, 344 Edmonton St, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0P6
Transports Canada, 344, rue Edmonton, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0P6 
Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada